|KC Royals||37-55||3:10 PM||Minor (5.67)|
|Omaha Storm Chasers||40-24||11:05 AM||Lynch (5.92)|
|NWA Naturals||34-30||4:00 PM||TBD|
|Game 2||7:05 PM||TBD|
|Quad Cities River Bandits||43-21||6:30 PM||Block (4.55)|
|Columbia Fireflies||31-32||6:05 PM||TBD|
- Couple of weird start times today as KC’s game was moved to 3:10 so folks could watch Game 6 of the NBA Finals and the Storm Chasers are playing a regularly scheduled 11 am game.
- Mike Minor has an ERA of 10.80 in 20 IP over his last 4 starts. I tried defending him for a while but after that start in Texas he just hasn’t been able to put anything back together. Milwaukee’s offense isn’t exactly a juggernaut, but they are in 1st place in the NL Central so you can bet they’ll be a tough go today. At this point, you’re really trying to see if Minor is going to be able to save your young guys some innings for the rest of 2021 and help out in the bullpen in 2022.
- Daniel Lynch has had a rough 2021, but he does have a 4.36 FIP with 28 K in 26 IP over his last 6 starts. He struck out 6 in 3.2 IP last time out before rain shut him down for the day. He appeared to have his best command of the season and I thought he looked great before the delay. He’ll get to make two home starts against the Saints this week, today and then presumptively on Sunday as well, a team that has scored 14 runs off of him in 10.1 IP across 2 starts so far this season. If Lynch can show good progress against a team that has had his number twice in one week, I will feel lightyears better about him this time next week.
- AJ Block has a 3.20 ERA over his last 4 starts with Quad Cities, striking out 22 batters in 19.2 IP in that time. I’m still not entirely sure what to make of the lefty, as I think he’s got good stuff with a “meh” fastball, but I am excited to see how he continues progressing over the next couple years. The Royals won’t need to be in any hurry with him, but I do think he’s an intriguing arm to keep hold of for a while to see what happens.
- Northwest Arkansas will trot out a new lineup twice tonight as they finish a suspended game with Tulsa from earlier this season and then have a regularly scheduled game right after. Jimmy Govern and Vinnie Pasquantino will get their first cracks at AA pitching in bulk. Bobby Witt Jr. will also be credited with an additional double after the game, as he was 1-1 with a double before the game got rained out originally.