The 2019 Arizona Fall League rosters were just announced:
The Royals will be sending six players and a coach to play for the Surprise Saguaros starting September 17th. Here are the players that will represent the Royals in Arizona:
- Brewer Hicklen, OF
- Hicklen has had a phenomenal season in Wilmington and will wrap things up in “prospect finishing school” this fall. He’s hit .269/.371/.437/.808 with 14 HR, 12 2B, and 7 3B in 121 games in High-A this season. He figures to move to AA Northwest Arkansas to begin 2020.
- Kyle Isbel, OF
- Isbel was limited in his playing time this summer due to a couple of different injuries. He was fantastic early on, got hurt, was really bad for a stretch, and has been really good again over his last 10 games or so. This figures to be a chance for him to recoup some of those missed at-bats against some of MiLB’s best pitchers.
- Gabriel Cancel, 1B
- I’m not a fan of the 1B designation for Cancel this fall, but I guess he could still mix in at 2B while he’s there as well. I have heard from within the organization that they want Cancel to start working out at 1B more, but I am not 100% sure how to feel about it. It’s good knowing that they want to try to find the kid playing time, but a move from 2B to 1B takes a significant hit out of Cancel’s prospect value.
- Daniel Lynch, LHP
- Lynch missed some time with forearm soreness this summer, so, like Isbel, this is probably a way for him to get some extra innings under his belt against some of the game’s best. Keith Law of ESPN had Lynch as his top Royals prospect this year and among the game’s best pitching prospects in general. Lynch will have a chance to prove himself this fall.
- Daniel Tillo, LHP
- Tillo struggled a bit early on in his second round at Wilmington, but the sinker balling lefty has been great over the last couple of months. Tillo has an ERA of 2.29 over his last 15 appearances (11 starts) spanning 70.2 IP since June 16th. Should be a great opportunity for him to show what he’s made of this fall.
- Tad Ratliff, RHP
- Ratliff is one of the more intriguing relievers in the system. I’m excited to see what he can do in the star studded AZFL.
Photo Credits: PLPhoto2015 (@PPhoto2015)