Yesterday was a freaking roller coaster of emotions down on the farm. I don’t even know where to start.
We had a clear objective to address pitching but as the night unfolded, pitcher after pitcher we liked was available. It was more a product of how the draft unfolded than it was a pre-determined conclusion to just take pitchers. Fortunately for us, quality pitchers who we identified as assets, were available and we were able to benefit from that. We knew over the course of those first two days our system was instantly better.
Royals fans have every reason to be upset if ownership really shot down this trade offer. The San Francisco Giants were able to move all of Mark Melancon’s contract which came up to roughly $20M, and still acquire two prospects. The Detroit Tigers got rid of all of Shane Greene’s contract, roughly $10M, when dealing with Atlanta, and still got two prospects back.
Okay. Now let’s catch up on last night’s action. Buckle in, there’s a ton.
So, to recap:
- Bobby Witt Jr. hit professional HR #1
- Kris Bubic threw another complete game with 11 K, this time a shutout
- Brett Phillips is headed to KC
- Vinnie Pasqualino and Gabriel Cancel both went deep again
- Burle Dixon hit for the cycle
- Charlie Neuweiler had his first double digit K game since being drafted in 2017
Happy Friday, y’all.
Photo Credits: Ryan Griffith (@ryanrgriffith)